Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Elbow Grease - weird rash

Andrew wrote:
On 26/04/2021 10:23, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
For several months now, I have had an ongoing itchy rash on the back
of both hands, close to the area of my thumbs. For quite a while, I
have been racking my brain trying to work out what might be causing
it. My best guess was washing up, but I have always done at least my
share of that. Then I realised the rash appeared when we swapped from
Fairy, to Elbow Grease liquid - as it seemed to be just as good and a
little cheaper.

On Thursday in the interests of experimentation, I picked up a 2L
bottle of Fairy and have used that in the days since then (SWMBO is
away). The rash now seems to have almost gone.

Two litres of fairy liquid would last me for years. You only need
small amounts for normal washing up. Could it be ?excess quantities
that you are using is the real underlying cause ?.

"Elbow Grease Washing Up Liquid 740ml"

Ingredients

Contains amongst other ingredients:

15 to 30% Anionic Surfactants,
5% Non Ionic Surfactants,
EDTA, Ethylene Diamine Tetra Acetic, used for chelation
Parfum,
Limonene, Monoterpene Limonene (used for removing sticky label glue)
Methylchloroisothiazolinone, a biocide
Methylisothiazolinone a biocide

Yummy. Rinse well.

How is the competition doing ?

https://theecologist.org/2009/feb/05...l-fairy-liquid

Aqua
Sodium laureth sulphate
Alcohol denat
Lauramine oxide
C9-11 pareth-8
Sodium chloride
1,3-Cyclohexanedimethanamine
PPG (polypropylene glycols)
Dimethyl aminoethyl methecrylate/hydroxyproply acrylate copolymer cirate
Parfum
Geraniol
Limonene
Colourant

"You're soaking in it"

And you're eating off those plates.

Makes you wonder what the "Fairy with antibacterial" has in it, in addition.
A biocide ?

I'm almost sorry I looked these up.
I would have guessed "just a surfactant" when looking at the bottle.

Paul