Posted to uk.d-i-y
AJH[_3_] AJH[_3_] is offline

Default Sthil ms260 rebuild

On 24/04/2021 12:27, Fredxx wrote:
On 24/04/2021 11:47, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 24 Apr 2021 11:18:02 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

surely easier to simply replace piston and cylinder

Well it's a question of cost and the cylinder is perfectly reusable, the
aluminium pick up can be etched off with oven cleaner, brick acid or
sulphuric acid, I prefer the first as a gel applied with a cotton bud.
The honing is okay done with 150 grit wet and dry. After market pistons
by meteor are nearly as good as OEM ones and a fraction of the price.

Generally DIY is about cost where our time is free; where we gain
satisfaction from a job well done.

Yes I get satisfaction out of repairing things but when I was working I
would replace a chainsaw as soon as it was a year old simply because of
the productivity and down time. The older saw then being kept as a
spare, I always carried two.

If the most cost-effective solution is to replace both, rather than
attempt a repair on a cylinder using tools and chemicals that aren't at
hand, then replacing both would be most prudent.

It's seldom cost effective to replace pot and piston with OEM parts as
they could exceed half the price of a new saw.

Having said that I'm still running a 30 year old saw for when I do go
out for a little work and all the parts are still available.