Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JJ Lark JJ Lark is offline

Default cheap solder smoke filter or overkill?

Worked out well. Ran the box fan at both medium and high speeds with
the filter across the front. I'm a little hesitant running the fan at
max for extended periods because it seems like the filter constricts the
input air flow. In any case, I did soldering, heat shrinking with
matches since my lighter ran out of fuel, and even marked some wires
with nail polish. No trouble at all. I expected the most lingering
smell would be the nail polish, but even that I could barely detect.
For $13 and the cheap box fan I already had, job well done!