Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Electric vehicles

"nightjar" wrote in message
On 19/04/2021 12:14, Tim+ wrote:
I still think youre over-complicating this. Taxation doesnt need
continuous mileage monitoring, it could be paid monthly or even annually
based on milometer readings....

A system that would require a small army of people to read the odometers
and another small army to collect the revenue. Whereas road fuel duty, is
collected automatically at the point of sale.

To go back to where this started, I didn't say that taxing electricity use
in vehicles was something I expected to happen, simply that it would be
wrong to think it couldn't be done. Expert opinion is that road pricing
will replace road fuel duty and that it will most likely involve GPS units
in every vehicle.

Makes a lot more sense to give up on charging by miles run etc.

ANPR is a possibility, but is vulnerable to number plate cloning. Either
way, it will raise serious privacy issues and still need a reliable way to
collect the revenue.