Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Electric vehicles

On 19/04/2021 07:50, Tim+ wrote:
Robin wrote:
On 18/04/2021 19:37, nightjar wrote:
On 18/04/2021 13:44, Tim+ wrote:

I dont think it would be that hard to institute a similar system here.

Which would amount to fitting a different type of smart meter to the car
- one that reads mileage instead of electricity use.

A charge on mileage does not /need/ any new technology or tracking. GPS
can be offered as just one among other options. It's up and running now
in Oregon.

https://www.myorego.org/how-it-works/

And - unlike anything involving smart meters built into cars - road
charging can be (a) applied to cars already sold which will be in use
for years to come and (b) updated without a massive recall/refit.

Thanks for that. The last point about the system not needing retrofitting
is an important one I think.

Unless you use ANPR, with all the privacy issues I mentioned, something
would need to be retrofitted.

--
Colin Bignell