Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default What glue brand and type do you all use for woodworking ?

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 15:49:56 -0400, J. Clarke
wrote:

On Sun, 11 Apr 2021 15:13:25 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

On Sat, 10 Apr 2021 18:39:05 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Saturday, April 10, 2021 at 11:33:54 AM UTC-7, Itty wrote:
What glue brand and type do you all use for woodworking ?

I tried some but do not like. e.g. Gorilla foaming is a mess.

If there's no pressing reason to expect dribble, just white Elmers
works fine. Yellow woodwork glue for neatness. Both are PVA type.
Veneers work best with non-water-based, either acetone-type contact
cement or Gorilla (polyurethane).

If you must glue endgrain, polyurethane is well-behaved compared to
the (stronger) PVA water-thinned glues.

To re-glaze aluminum windows, I always use liquid nails to install softwood
so the glass presses against wood, not metal.

And, to redo antiques really requires hide glue.

I've run into a problem with PVA-based glues in general, specifically
in doors. The problem is that these glues will creep under sustained
load, especially if hot, like a sun-baked exterior door.

For exterior doors, I ended up adding diagonal turnbuckle braces, to
keep the door from sagging farther and farther down, until the
swinging edge rested on the floor.

But, hide glue would also work - there are many doors in my house that
are from the 1930s, that have not sagged.

I've also had the problem with multi-lite French doors coming apart,
especially at the top, in the corner away from the hinges.

.https://www.doortodoorco.com/products/15-lite-french-door

For this, I had the carpenter use hide glue.

What would also work are the catalyzed glues used to make wooden
boats, like resorcinol.

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resorcinol_glue

Definitely the good stuff. Only glue officially approved for
constructing wooden airplanes. Be careful with joint fit though--it's
picky.

Hmm. I would have thought that some kinds of Epoxy would be approved
for this, as they are widely used for assembling metal airplanes, in
particular the skins of pressurized aircraft.

Joe Gwinn