Posted to sci.electronics.repair
amdx amdx is offline

Default Fan causing MW RFI

On 11/25/2014 1:26 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 24/11/2014 20:33, Tom Miller wrote:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I have a 6-months old Fantasia ceiling fan (mains powered, with 6-speed
reversible dc motor) which is causing a lot of interference on MW.Â*
FM is
not affected. The interference is there on forward or reverse rotation,
worsens as the speed is increased,, and appears on portable as well as
mains-powered radios.

I can return it to the supplier for replacement or refund, but it is
a bit
of a rigmarole to remove and refit. All the electronics are sealed
in, and
the only accessible wiring is to the mains connector. Is there any
point
in trying some sort of screening or RFI suppression on the mains wiring
before I take it down?

--

Jeff

You might try winding the AC lines through a ferrite RFI core like
the ones
found on switching power modules. Some can be clamped around the
wires. You
will want to get all three leads through the core, L, N, and Ground.
Maybe
even do a couple of turns if the core is large enough.

I'll try that. Thanks.

Â* I had a outdoor IR light that radiated from the light into the house.
I could follow the electrical line

using my AM radio all the way to the circuit breaker panel. This became
a problem when I installed an

active antenna about 50ft from the light. My fix was to install a Corcom
line filter near the light, The Corcom

line filter may or may not have been over kill, but, it was in my junk
box, so I used it. It did the job.

Â*After a house rebuild (hurricane) we installed 5 new outdoor light, I
bought two different models at Lowes.

brought them home and tested them with my AM radio, I picked the quiet
one and bought 4 more for the house.

Mikek