Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Nichols Robert Nichols is offline

Default Weight bearing strength of 5 ft. of black iron pipe

On 4/4/21 4:52 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sun, 4 Apr 2021 09:36:53 -0500, Robert Nichols
wrote:

On 4/3/21 11:47 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Sat, 3 Apr 2021 19:38:26 -0700 (PDT), Linda Iverson
wrote:

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 6:18:04 AM UTC-7, Goncalves wrote:
replying to mjacobsen925, Goncalves wrote:
Really mjacobsen925, a forum is where one asks questions not where one gets
censored.
--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...pe-639655-.htm

What if I just want to use black steel pipe as a curtain rod to hang heavy velvet drapes spanning a window greater than 12 feet long without the need for a center support? Ill anchor ends using flanges (nipples and elbows) screwed into solid wooden header above window. Seems like it should be more than strong enough for such a girly thing.
2 or 3 inch might work but not 3/4 or 1 inch unless you want them to
sag

The pipe, even 2 inch, will sag just from its own weight.

Sched 40 will sag - sched 80 MIGHT work in 2 inch but not with HEAVY
drapery

A 12 foot length of 2 inch Sched 80 steel pipe would weigh over 60 lbs.
That's quite some curtain rod!!