Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default HP DV5 stop overheating issue?

On 02/04/2021 12:21, Clifford Heath wrote:

Apple sold Macbook Pro's around 2010 made with a new soldering
profile/process that caused the GPU balls to crack. Eventually they were
persuaded (by a class action) to replace any that were returned, even
outside the warranty period - but the replacement logic boards had the
same fault and failed again within a year. Ask me how I know

There have been lots of similar cases with other manufacturers. It's not
only Apple users that have been affected.

After over a decade of using Apple hardware, I am now determined that my
next computer will *not* be an Apple.

Why? Apple IT is bought and paid for the software, productivity and
creativity in what ever is done with it. Metaphorically speaking it is a
smart vehicle for getting from A to B, and for many whole system does
the job well within its constraints.

If the system worked for you, then upgrade ...

The hardware is designed to be disposable, unserviceable and to be
eventually recycled to electronic compost. It has a limited lifetime.

If that irks (and it does to me, to be honest), then seems the value of
whatever is created is less than the cost of the equipment, and the
purchaser has made a poor investment that is heavily depreciating doing
very little.

Like a non-classic car.

--
Adrian C