Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Kitchen Job

On Saturday, March 27, 2021 at 11:41:45 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 3/26/2021 8:34 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, March 26, 2021 at 4:51:32 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
The kitchen job is almost complete. Yesterday I installed the 16 false
drawer fronts and today I am gluing up 1/2" plywood, "edge to edge".
Whaaaat?

Some have expressed doubt about how accurately you can edge glue stock
using the Domino for alignment. "10,000 plus mortises" with my Domino
produced these results when I needed for some expensive 1/2" white oak
veneer plywood to be ...... wider.

Here is the joint after a very slight amount of surface sanding. As we
all know, the outer veneer on cabinet quality plywood these days is
extremely thin. That is 1/2" material, I'm guesstimating that the
veneer is not over 1/64" thick.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

And then the money side of the joint.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

I'm still very impressed with the Domino.

Anyway, moving on, The kitchen job is complete except for the microwave
cuby. I am building a slide in unit to close in and hide the interior
of the cabinet that the microwave sets in. The interior of this
cabinet will have a more finished look and a frame around the perimeter.
I used 3 sheets of 1/2" white oak plywood for the center panels in the
29 door panels. That was way too much but I wanted to book match the
paired doors, so there was considerable waste. BUT about half of that
waste is what I am gluing up for the microwave cuby.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

There are also 6 drawer fronts and 6 doors on the island but too
difficult to photograph. Tight squeeze.

And before the new false drawer fronts, doors, and under counter drawers
went in, I installed 5 multi drawer units behind the doors of the lower
cabinets.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...in/dateposted/

The customer is pleased! Always a good thing.

Thoughts or questions?

Everything looks great. Nice panel glue-ups.

Not quite sure I understand the microwave cubby build. Will there be enough
ventilation for heat and moisture? You're not boxing the entire MW in are you?

The microwave cubby has an unfinished appearance. I'm only making the
spot 1" narrower and 1" shorter than the actual FF opening. Now it
looks like a cabinet with no doors. I'll also be adding a frame around
the opening.

Imagine that my MV sits on the counter, about where the leather bag is in this shot:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb112...n/photostream/

I have a short piece 2 x 4 between the back of the MV and the backsplash to keep the
MV near the front of the counter. Without it, the MV slides backwards with use and ends
up too deep to be convenient. That extra 3 1/2" forward makes a big difference.

Will backward movement be an issue with the cubby you built?