Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Phil Hobbs Phil Hobbs is offline

Default Washing machine controls

Jon Elson wrote:
bob prohaska wrote:

I'm faced with buying a new washing machine and very uneasy
about the electronic controls used today. Does anybody have
experience getting service information for popular brands
like LG, GE or Speed Queen? Dealers won't even talk about
service information and I couldn't find much of anything on
manufacturer's websites.

AVOID the Korean machines (LG and Samsung) at all costs. They are designed
to fall apart at less than 3 years. Parts and repair info are hard to come
by. I've got a 12 year old Kenmore that has had its share of problems, but
I have been able to keep it running with a little bit of effort.
Relays burned out on the control board, drain pumps have worn out, and I've
replaced the main bearing and seal several times. I did get hold of the
maintenance manual from a kindly service guy who was, I guess, embarrassed
that I already knew more about it than he did. It has some diagnostic
procedures you get into by holding down three buttons at once. Quite
helpful to figure out what is wrong.

My daughter's roommate has a Samsung that started giving the unbalanced load
error on every wash. As best as we can tell, the ball joints that support
the tub are designed to give damping friction when new, and as soon as that
friction surface wears smooth, the machine will never work again. That took
a little over a year. No service people will come out and work on it.
Some people have reported putting blankets around the tub to restore
damping.

Jon

We have a front-loading LG that has been great for a decade now.

Bosch dishwashers, don't get me started.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs