Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Peter W. Peter W. is offline

Default Washing machine controls

It depends.
a) Purchase from a reliable dealer that either has service in-house or can show you a service agreement. Around here, that would be Best Buy, Gerhard's Appliances and several others. Not Home Depot. And if you wish to be sure, purchase the extended warranty.
b) Read the directions on set-up, loading and other niceties. They are not overly complicated, but it does help to do it correctly.
c) If the unit has a sump, clean it regularly - at least quarterly. Not cleaning the sump is what destroys drain pumps.
d) Get the features you need and will use - and NO MORE than those features.. IOW, eschew needless complexity.

We have an LG that is now a year old, replacing a floor-model LG that went at 12 years of heavy use. And not from electronics, motors or such, but of all things rust.
At our summer house, we have a 15 year old LG that also has a bit of rust, but is still going strong otherwise. We purchased it used - see pump, below - for $75.
We went with the LG units as they use (when purchased) the least water, and require the least detergent to do a good wash. At the summer house, we have well water, and we are on a Class A natural (not stocked) trout stream, so the issue of water use and discharge quality is critical. We have never had any issues with the electronics or drive motors, I replaced one (1) pump at US$29.00. From Amazon and about an hour to install.

As an aside, there are You-Tube videos on about every aspect of maintaining about every sort of appliance, and about any part you might think of is readily available out there - at least in the USA - usually at reasonable costs as compared to a new unit.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA