GeekBoy

Default Cutting ceramic tile (?)

What if the hole in question in smack in the middle of one big tile?
I have this problem, and the tile is very hard porcelin. A tile guy
taught me this:
Take your wet saw and pull out the sliding tray. Now hold the tile up
to the saw four times, cutting a small square. Now flip the tile and
do it again, from the back. Now give it a whack -- the piece should
pop out.
YMMV

"Jason" wrote in message ...

I was tiling all day today and was shown a great way to do this recently -
although you need a wet saw. Draw a curved line on the tile where you

want
to cut it. Then make several parallel straight cuts with the wet saw,

going
from the edge of the tile as far as your curved line. These cuts should

be
roughly a quarter-inch apart. Use the nippers then to break these thin
pieces of tile off. I assume you can do the same with any saw that can

cut
straight lines in tile but the wet saw for me today made the work quick

and
easy. I had to cut four tiles to fit around the toilet flange. If your
tiles are laid out so that one tile fits over the flange, cut it in half
first, then cut two semi circles using the method I mentioned.

Good luck!

I'll try this. I bought a wet saw as the bathroom was the first of three
rooms I plan on tiling. The flange hole is covered by one tile though a bit
off center. If I cut the lines close together on each half inside the
semicircle I can see where I would be able to nip the shards off without
breaking the rest of the tile. Thanks a ton.