D'Olier

Default Cutting ceramic tile (?)

"Jason" wrote in message
Hi all.

I am near completion on my first ever attempt at laying tile. I am using

12
x 12 ceramic glazed tile on my bathroom floor and am at a stand still on
attempting to cut a hold for the toilet flange. I first tried a Dremel

with
a tile cutting bit, it failed. Then I tried cutting the tile across the
angle and nipping a semi circle in each half, and that just got me about 4
broken tiles. I am now just considering cutting across the center of the
tile as the length of the base will hide the 5 inches or so missing from

the
center (across the entire tile). I just thought I would post here to see

if
anyone had a suggestion before I did this.

Thanks

I was tiling all day today and was shown a great way to do this recently -
although you need a wet saw. Draw a curved line on the tile where you want
to cut it. Then make several parallel straight cuts with the wet saw, going
from the edge of the tile as far as your curved line. These cuts should be
roughly a quarter-inch apart. Use the nippers then to break these thin
pieces of tile off. I assume you can do the same with any saw that can cut
straight lines in tile but the wet saw for me today made the work quick and
easy. I had to cut four tiles to fit around the toilet flange. If your
tiles are laid out so that one tile fits over the flange, cut it in half
first, then cut two semi circles using the method I mentioned.

Good luck!