Posted to rec.woodworking

Default jointers

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 09:13:51 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 3/15/2021 8:50 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 09:35:15 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet

BUT with 54 teeth,,,, I would think smoother. But where do you draw the
line? Are you going to apply a finish as the work exits the jointer or
will you finish sand? If you are going to sand I would think the
quality of the cut on the Jet will be fine.

Sand. I have a drum sander so I might just as well use it. Edges
don't get sanded. For joints, that's pretty important. OTOH, the saw
is going to get to the edges anyway.

Me too but I rarely use it after the planer, more for smoothing out BS
rough cut, thicknessing a rough cut.

I do edge sand cabinet doors and drawer fronts.
Now I use the new Festool attachment for that.
Yesterday I edge sanded 16 drawer fronts, twice.

My point was the edges need to be quite planar and smooth for gluing.
Using an edge sander may get them smooth but screw up what you just
did on the jointer. IOW, the jointer needs to have a pretty decent
cut, all by itself.

Once for the 90 degree edge and then again for the 45 degree
champher/bevel that I added to the front outside edge on the router table.

The guard might be a consideration but they all appear to be the
American version, pork chop. Oddly I thought the Euro style would be
weird. After using it I prefer it just from the stand point that the
American version slaps the fence every time the work clears.

I can see where the European style would be preferable. I hadn't seen
that before.

I think it is 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I hated the slap
of the pork vchop on my old jointer.

I had an old Crapsman. I hated that too. I didn't like using the
machine. It's still holding down the basement floor, getting in my
way. I gotta figure out how to get rid of scrap metal around here.
Our landfill/transfer station's building burned down a couple of years
ago so they closed the whole deal. The alternate is about 40mi and is
run by a different county. I have no idea how to use it, if we even
can. Once I figure it out, my RAS will be traveling with it.

Voltage is the same so you will have to deal with that.

The Laguna is 3 hp, the Jet is 2 hp. 2 is probably going to be plenty.

I have two 20A circuits, one for the DC and the other for the tools
(they aren't going to be used at the same time). A 30A (3HP) circuit
would be a RPITA.

Yes, and why I have a long 10/3 extension cord.

I dislike extension cords with a passion. I'm always tripping on
them. My basement is unfinished so it's possible. The big problem is
the sunken living room in the middle of the house. Getting wires down
to the "sunk" part and back up isn't fun. A pipe, like 10/2, is going
to no fun at all.

Can you put your hands on one before the purchase. Rockler and
Woodcraft are common stores, maybe not for you, but both carry both
brands. BUT right NOW neither are likely to have one on the floor to
look at. My local Woodcraft store is almost empty of anything that is
not built in the USA.

We have both (two of each, actually). With the shortage of power
tools, no one has anything right now. I'm really not ready to buy
quite yet so maybe the situation will correct itself before I am.

I understand the "over seas" manufacturers production is way down.

Everything has been pushed out until summer or late summer. Of course
they want you to order (and pay) now. Don't think that's going to
happen.

Will shipping be a consideration? I had my jointer/planer delivered
into my garage for $25 above purchase price,

Yeah. I'm done moving tools like that in my pickup. I gust about
ruptured a duck getting the lathe from the pickup into the basement. I
would have left it until morning but it was supposed to rain. I
didn't think it would be a good idea.

Is the Laguna mobile? YES, build in wheels.

The old one had fixed wheels. From the ratings it was an issue
moosing it around the shop.

Fixed wheels are better than no wheels but not much... My drum sander
has an enclosed base with fixed wheels. I have managed to place it
against a wall in a location that does not require turning. I pull it
straight out whan I use it and push it straight back in when I'm done.
I'm certain that it is lighter weight than a jointer so turning a
jointer will probably be more troublesome.

My sander has the three-point wheels. It's good enough but takes some
jockeying.

I bought the top end Bora mobile base for my 500 lb. jointer/planer.
Each wheel swivels vs the model with only 2 swivel wheels. It actually
glides more easily than my SawStop mobile base, and I thought it was
pretty easy to maneuver. The SawStop will remain in place when elevated
on to the wheels. The jointer will take off towards the garage door
opening, natural slant of the garage floor. I have to keep at least one
of the locking feet at each wheel, 4, locked.

I bought three of the predecessor to that base. It looks identical,
except that only two of the wheels swivel. Same problem as the
three-point, above. I have one on my DP, which rarely gets moved
(cleaning day) and one on my router table (and the other under a bench
somewhere because Woodcraft was blowing them out, cheap). I wish I'd
gotten the four swivel one. I would have put it on my BS but bought
the ridiculously expensive "mobility kit" instead.