Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default jointers

"Leon" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message

I've been thinking about that roller and also about some of the boards
I've run through my DJ-20. The beds on the DJ-20 are 76.5" and I've run
12'-16' stock through it. The wood drags on the edge of the infeed table
as it's fed. I'm thinking that the roller would likely reduce or even
eliminate that friction and make it easier to feed the wood.

Yes. But when the end of the board clears the roller it falls and drags
on the end of the in feed table.... ESPECIALLY on boards less than 8'
long.

Eliminating that friction or drag would be temporary with every board
that is longer than the in feed table.

Yes, it's temporary. However, when you have 12-16' boards in play the
last thing you need is more friction while you've got all that wood
hanging out there!

By the time the end of the board reaches the roller it's a non-issue.
This as the problem of the board drooping, even a little, over the end of
the infeed and dragging is all but gone by then... The feed pressure is
on the outfeed table within a foot or two of feeding and that generally
controls the cut. When face jointing, if a board is so bowed or twisted
that more than droop is creating a lot of friction at the end of the
infeed table I'd think it should be cut to shorter lengths. This as there
might be nothing left by the time it's flat! Likewise, for edge
jointing, if the crook is real bad it should either be straight line
ripped or cut into shorter lengths.

Me... bow/twist/crook assessments take place before the wood gets to the
jointer and if they are bad enough a saw will be involved before the
jointer is used. It's the droop induced friction on the long boards that
would be nice to moderate and a roller could help do that.

Gotch'a I can clearly see how this would be a good feature with loooooong
boards. They likely would bend and straighten as their ends reached the
roller.

I was thinking more in lines of the lengths that "I" would likely be
running through the jointer. Less than 8' and really likely less than 6'
and boards with bends.

Yeah... this isn't an issue when making most furniture and cabinets but it
can be with architectural woodworking... For example, I've got a big poplar
tree that I'll be milling into boards. If the logs allow for it, I hope to
yield some boards about 18' long. With them I'm going to make baseboards
and crown for my house. That will leave me with no joints any where in those
items. Everything else will be 8-10 feet. With one face jointed I can run
them through my thickness planner and Jet molder.

An associate of mine owns a commercial cabinet shop. He does paneled bank
interiors, hotel lobbies, etc. I've watched him joint 16'+ cherry on his 8"
Powermatic jointer before running it through his Williams & Hussey molding
machine. I watched intently to see if he had any tricks for working with
boards that long...This as he's got 30+ years in the business. The short
answer was he had the same struggles as I.

Moving forward with my renovation, I will have my power feeder on the
jointer to process the trim and flooring before thickness planning and
molding. The power feeder will deal with the droop and friction much better
than I can by hand...

We've all had our challenges doing woodworking and we've all come up with
solutions... some more elegant than others!