Posted to rec.woodworking
John Grossbohlin[_4_] John Grossbohlin[_4_] is offline

Default jointers

"Leon" wrote in message

I've been thinking about that roller and also about some of the boards
I've run through my DJ-20. The beds on the DJ-20 are 76.5" and I've run
12'-16' stock through it. The wood drags on the edge of the infeed table
as it's fed. I'm thinking that the roller would likely reduce or even
eliminate that friction and make it easier to feed the wood.

Yes. But when the end of the board clears the roller it falls and drags on
the end of the in feed table.... ESPECIALLY on boards less than 8' long.

Eliminating that friction or drag would be temporary with every board that
is longer than the in feed table.

Yes, it's temporary. However, when you have 12-16' boards in play the last
thing you need is more friction while you've got all that wood hanging out
there!

By the time the end of the board reaches the roller it's a non-issue. This
as the problem of the board drooping, even a little, over the end of the
infeed and dragging is all but gone by then... The feed pressure is on the
outfeed table within a foot or two of feeding and that generally controls
the cut. When face jointing, if a board is so bowed or twisted that more
than droop is creating a lot of friction at the end of the infeed table I'd
think it should be cut to shorter lengths. This as there might be nothing
left by the time it's flat! Likewise, for edge jointing, if the crook is
real bad it should either be straight line ripped or cut into shorter
lengths.

Me... bow/twist/crook assessments take place before the wood gets to the
jointer and if they are bad enough a saw will be involved before the jointer
is used. It's the droop induced friction on the long boards that would be
nice to moderate and a roller could help do that.