Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default OT What a jenny

On Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 1:52:05 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tue, 23 Feb 2021 00:11:01 -0500, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 18 Feb 2021 23:09:11 -0600, Jim Joyce
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2021 20:14:00 -0500, micky wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 17 Feb 2021 17:33:50 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 2/17/2021 5:04 PM, micky wrote:
CNN had two people on to talk about the proposed rebate on college
loans. Because I only listen, I don't know who they were. Sometimes
one is from each party but this time, they might both have been
Democrats.

Anyone, one of them was wanting a $50,000 rebate instead of 10 like Joe
wants (and he said no to 50). And she said roughly, a real leader
would do something about college tuition.

What a jackass. Doesn't she pay attention? In the campaign and again
last night Joe said that junior college** should be free and state
schools should be free to those with parents earning under 75K or 100K,
something like that. What more does she want and Biden has been saying
it for months. I'm going to try to find out who she was. It's too soon
for there to be anything on the web.

**My father graduated high school in 1910. High school was free then.
Now a high school diploma won't get you much, the country is much richer
and still free education hasn't gone any farther than high school. In
fact in 1957 Indiana University and most state schools charge in-state
residents no tuition (although there were fees which were not nothing)
and we've gone backwards on that.

As an aside, after HS my father went on to dental school for 4 years,
commuting 50 miles each way every day by train, doing homework on the
train, and working in his father's hardware store when he got home.

Paying off all loans will **** off everyone that paid their way through
already. Everyone talks about forgiving the debt, no one asks why it
cost so mush to go to school in the first place.

Not everyone benefits from college, some would to better in a trade or
technical school rather than a degree is 4th century Greek sculpture

Yeah, I forgot to include that part. I think 10,000 is plenty and the
other 40,000 can go to other categories of people who also need it or to
other expenses.

No one put a guy to their head to make them borrow money. They could
have gone to a local junior college (not free) but lived at home, where
at least they don't charge for the room.

If they get 10,000 off, they should be happy.

I borrowed $40K for college and my wife borrowed $35K. For both of us, the
loans have been paid off long ago, but the experience leads me to believe
that, depending on specific requirements and restrictions, higher education
should be free*, just as formal K-12 education is free*.

*Yes, I know that nothing is free, so I don't need a reminder but I also
know that a better educated workforce translates to a much better
population overall.

The requirements and restrictions mentioned above could be things like
specific education programs supported rather than blanket tuition
avoidance, specific colleges allowed to participate rather than any old
group calling itself a 'university', and requirements on students to
maintain attendance and grade requirements.

It's hard to argue that we don't need more doctors and nurses, but many of
them come out of college with as much as $250K in student debt. Offering
them $10K in debt relief doesn't seem to cut it, IMHO, so I think there
needs to be some flexibility in the program.

On the radio today, Representative Ayala Pressley (someething like that)
said that 80% of people owed less than 35,000. So IMO for them,
10,000 would be a big chunk of that. (If her proposal was only UP TO
50,000, so by her they woudl get 35,000.)

But the show started off with a caller who said 10K would only be a
third of his interest!

I wonder what interest they are paying. I wonder if there is a legal,
reasonable way to lower it closer to what would be charged now. You can
refinance a mortgage.

Another caller had 40,000 in loans but he agreed with me, thought 10,000
would be a help and planned to pay his 30,000 himself.

Anoher owed 14,000 after college but 140,000 after grad school. Didn't
say if it was a masters but must have been a PhD. She didn't expect it
to be so much but said she forgot about the merit scholarships she had,
the need-based scholarship, her parents' money, and maybe one other
thing that had decreased her expenses in college. So the 140K was big
surprise.

And Joe had itemized how much his kids owed, all 3 between iirc 135, and
150K.

One huge problem is you can defer payments as long as you are still in
school so people keep going back to the well piling on useless degrees
and racking up more debt that they are avoiding. My SIL is a good
example. He has a masters in some kind of ocean science and beach
restoration and then went to law school. When he finally stopped
racking up debt he had as much as his mortgage and ended up with a job
as a land manager he could have got with a 4 year degree. He passed
the bar in Florida and moved to Northern Michigan where it is not
recognized. He said he didn't want to be a lawyer anyway. Not a lot of
beaches or oceans there either.

It just goes to show you education doesn't necessarily make you smart.

Now that is one sad story. I had a couple dates with a young woman long
time ago. She had a degree in biology and was complaining because the
best job she could find was working for the govt on commercial fishing
boats to monitor the catch and it didn't pay well. Her whole attitude was
the country was going to hell, there aren't any good jobs anymore, etc.
Of course had she taken some courses in computer programming or better
yet gotten a degree in that, she would have been in a much better position
and there were lots of job openings, paying well.
I didn't tell her that, but I did say that there are many opportunities out
there, including starting a small business, etc and that if you just focus
on the negative, it can be self defeating. She immediately attacked me
because I was successful and doing well and that was pretty much the
end. I guess she preferred to find someone working at McDonalds.
Go figure.