Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default How about those add-on Wixey height gauges

On 2/21/2021 7:54 AM, Jack wrote:
On 2/20/2021 6:08 PM, Leon wrote:
On 2/20/2021 5:03 PM, Bob D wrote:
A digital height guage for my planer and my router lift would be
really nice if its repeatable.Â* Wixey makes add-on guages for both
applications.Â* Does anyone have experience with either?

Thanks,
Bob

I put one on my 15" Delta planer 10+ years ago..Â* Fit is crotchety and
would get hung up.
I would not buy another one of those.

I am looking closely at the Wixey remote digital readout however and
may get one for my new
jointer/planer.

I would rather have a mechanical gauge.Â* They attach to the elevation
crank wheel rod.Â* It counts revolutions and parts of a revolution.

There is one offered for my model in Europe but I would want imperial
vs metric.

My planer, like all planers I guess, has a built in mechanical gauge.Â* I
never use it.Â* If I want to plane something to an exact size, say 3/8",
I grab a 3/8" open end wrench and use that to check things.Â* Works
pretty good. I also use wrenches on my lathe if turning a tenon to an
exact size.

The issue with some larger planers with the ribbed steel in feed rollers
is that they leave impressions in the wood if the planer is only
removing a slight amount of material.

The easy fix is to not take a very light pass on the final pass. On
these planers you need to remove enough material to also remove those
impressions.

With a digital meter you can get relatively close but not so close that
you do not cut deep enough to remove the impressions on the final pass.
I have heard of this being an issue decades ago and my 15" Delta and
new Jet jointer/planer also have this issue.

I think some people have tried adjusting the ribbed in feed roller for
less pressure however wood was not adequately pushed into the cutters,
past the cutters, and on to the out feed roller.