Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT What a jenny

wrote in message
On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 09:56:45 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

I doubt that anybody getting a degree in 4th Century Greek sculpture
could hack it at trade or technical school. Those disciplines require
aptitude.

Now, don't get me started on how useless most young people are because
they've spent their whole lives twiddling cell phone buttons or going to
"maker academy" where nothing has to be kludged together.

Yes, today the young people do not seem to be able to do simple repair
things around the house.

That is only because they never had a chance to be taught.

I didn't need to be taught, I learned it for myself and that's
what most who are any good at doing simple repairs around
the house get to do simple repairs around the house.

I built my own quite sophisticated passive solar house
on a bare block of land that way and worked out all
the non obvious detail by wandering around the
houses being built in the area after hours.

And a young bloke who I have known since he was a
preschool kid is still doing that right now when he is
getting his house built by a builder, telling the builder
how he wants stuff done with the concrete outside the
house etc etc etc.

"Shop" disappeared from middle and high school in the
70s (probably because educators didn't know which end
of a hammer you hold) and we are seeing the fallout now.

You don't need to be taught that stuff. And even
in the 70s most couldn't work out why their lawn
mower stopped working and I did all the basic
stuff like fixing the neighbours kids bikes etc.

Latinos are kicking our ass in the trades.

Not because they still get taught shop in their schools.

If you don't speak a little Spanish you can't be a job
super or a contractor these days. I was helped being
an inspector because I took a Spanish class and I
made the extra effort to expand that "do you have
a telephone" stuff into the terms used in construction.