Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery[_3_] Ralph Mowery[_3_] is offline

Default shovelling snow

In article ,
says...

That works if the snow isn't very deep. I've several times been "beached"
when the snow was substantially deeper than the ground clearance of my
car. One memorable occasion was in the parking lot at work: it was fine
when I went to work in the morning but so much came down during the
day I actually needed the shovel that I keep in the car.

In the middle of NC where I live we don't often get more than 4 to 6
inches of snow at one time. However one year we got about 12 to 14
inches. I got in my car about 3 in the afternoon. Backed up out of the
parking space and was 'beached'. All wheels were off the pavement and
the car (1994 Pontack Ventura) was sitting on the frame. Had to go back
in and sleep over that night. It is a large plant with about 700 people
working each shift. The plant runs 24 hours a day. Some agency brought
in some cots and blankets for us to sleep on. All was not a total loss
as I did work the 2nd shift and got paid for it.

I am retired now and if we have much snow I just stay home. The
driveway is about 200 feet from the house to the road and about 100 feet
of it is slightly up hill. In the country so no sidewalks to clean off.