Posted to alt.home.repair
SNAG SNAG is offline

Default shovelling snow

On 2/17/2021 1:03 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 17, 2021 at 1:32:45 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
BTW. after all these years, I have a new improved way of shoveling the
sidewalk, that's faster, better, and takes less effort.

The whole word "shoveling" seems like the wrong word now because surely
shovel ling meant putting the shovel under the snow and lifting it and
throwing it to the side.

The last two times, I used a spade, with a flat end. Just put it end
down on the sidewalk and slide it to the side. Lift it an inch or two
and do the next row of snow.

No lifting the shovel or the snow, no throwing it, and for a guy with
breathing problems some times (well, only when I'm working hard), I can
do four times as much without getting running out of breath. 60 feet
instead of 15.

I hate to break it to you, but that's how all of us old farts shovel snow.

Of course, after a few snowfalls without a thaw in between, one does have
to lift the snow up over the piles of snow at the edge of the sidewalk.

ISTR in 2013 we got 60 inches of snow over the course of the winter, with
precious little thawing until spring. Even the snowblower was having a
hard time throwing snow up over the piles next to the driveway.

Cindy Hamilton

On the rare occasions I need to move snow , I much prefer to use my
yard tractor with the 48" blade on the front ...
--
Snag
In 1775, the British demanded we give them our guns.