Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default OT: The world's simplest electric train

On Tue, 16 Feb 2021 19:51:01 -0000, Clare Snyder wrote:

As for the conductivity of the wire/magnet interface I have some
stuff that could reduce the resistance to nextto nothing. I doubt they
were using it (at over $200 an ounce) - it is called stabilant 22 -
google it - the stuff is FANTASTIC.

How does that work?
https://www.sibert.co.uk/products/st...ntact-enhancer
"selectively switches-on between the mating surfaces of each of the individual contacts, staying non-conductive between adjacent contacts"
Are they saying you put it on the commutator of a motor and it conducts from brush to commutator but not commutator to next contact of commutator? How does it know?

I think this
https://www.posthorn.com/Stab_2.html
indicates that it conducts very well when it's thin, but insulates when thicker. So it improves a contact which was touching or supposed to be touching, but doesn't conduct a long way away, like to the next contact. Clever that stuff. Could it be described as intelligent? And how does it do it?

Do they use it in a lot of equipment? Sounds like it would be perfect in motors. Could I put some in my power drill that sparks a lot?

Where do I buy some in the UK? Ebay doesn't have any, Amazon is out of stock until further notice, Google shopping gives no results.