Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Gremlin Gremlin is offline

Default OT: The world's simplest electric train

"Rod Speed"
Mon, 15 Feb 2021 16:39:57 GMT in
alt.computer.workshop, wrote:

Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote

What is it one of them there kiddiees linear motor demo kits?

For those in the non uk.d-i-y groups, Brian is blind.

It’s a battery with a magnet on each end which
allows the battery to move in metal spiral.

Idel for launching things that break ornaments.

Not in this case, it runs in the spiral and doesn't
go far if it comes out the end of the spiral. Goes
until the battery is flat if the spiral is in a loop.

I'm curious to know approx how long it would run in a level loop, and the
same calcs performed on a loop with a hill or two for it. So that one could
see how much additional energy is consumed if it has to climb in any way.

I'd also want to know if the battery structure changes the runtime by a
significant amount. Various lithium based, aklaline, etc, versions.

--
Now that my house / Has burned down, / I have a much better view / Of the
Moon.