Posted to sci.electronics.repair
three_jeeps three_jeeps is offline

Default liquid electric tape?

On Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 1:42:18 PM UTC-5, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 2 Feb 2021 21:20:47 -0800 (PST), Three Jeeps
wrote:

On Sunday, December 6, 2020 at 1:49:13 PM UTC-5, Jezebels_couz wrote:
Anyone here use it and what is its durability? How about melting
temperature in warmer environments? Thanks.

I tried it once. Was not impressed, seemed to crack off after a while.
What I have used that I really like is rubber electrical tape. Ethylene propylene and silicone rubber electrical tapes have the highest dielectric rating of electrical tapes, as much at 70KV. I use 3M 2228.
I learned about this stuff during my first engineering job in a blast furnace construction site. the controls I designed interfaced to some beefy motors. One of the electricians that followed me around was tasked to replace one of the motors because it was not what I specified. As I watched him wire the new motor, he used that rubber electrical tape. Neat stuff-the overlapping wraps fuse together to make a rubber jacket. Long lasting in hot and cold environments. Follow up with a few wraps of good electrical tape - I like 3M 88 or for everyday use, super 33.
Good luck

It costs about $1/ft:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Scotch-1-in-x-10-ft-x-0-065-in-2228-Rubber-Mastic-Electrical-Tape-Black-50727-BA-5/202195402
I've used it on radio towers and found a problem. The self-fusing
glue is so tenacious, that removing it from a connector is almost
impossible. For situations where you're certain it never needs to be
removed, it's great and quite waterproof. For RF connectors that need
to be removed, I use 1" wide PTFE (Teflon) tape for waterproofing,
covered with 1 or 2 layers of Scotch 66 to hold it in place. When the
tape wrap is removed, the connectors look like new.

--
Jeff Liebermann
Ben Lomond CA 95005-0272

Yes, good point - it is rather tenacious. If the connection needs to be reworked in the future, it is a little tough to remove it. I've tried teflon tape on occasion and found that it slides and shifts around so much that it is hard to get a clean wrap so to speak. One good thing is that teflon tape has a very high dielectric strength, something like 6kv at 0.001 inch thick, (or is it 0.001? i forget). It would do quite well in RF applications.