Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Russ Zimmerman Russ Zimmerman is offline

Default Belt for Myford Mystro

I don't remember whether you bought the lathe, but it is likely. In any case, you are right that it is not easy to change to a new belt, but while it might be theoretically possible to change to a linking v-belt, I would guess that it would cost more than you want to pay. Even if cost were no object, you would end up with a lathe that had a much higher low speed. Look at the smallest pulley on the motor and imagine how much bigger it would have to be. The poly v belt is easy to buy these days and should last a long time--unless you put it in the wrong groove. So, yes it is a pain to change, but you should not have to change it very often. Mine has seen 20 years of use. Note that Myford no longer makes new lathes, but may still have some parts. I have enough spare parts for mine, and they will go with the lathe if ever sold.
Russ Zimmerman

--
For full context, visit https://www.inspirepoint.com/woodtur...tro-47085-.htm