Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Motor question

I don't think your motor is wired in shunt configuration unless it is
REALLY old, like maybe 1890s old. Shunt wired motors are used in DC
applications but not AC, which is what a universal motor can run on.
Is there any way you could send me some pictures of the thing?
Including the label and commutator? I suspect the brushes may actually
be wired together.
Eric

On Fri, 22 Jan 2021 19:52:12 -0600, Snag wrote:

It's an old motor , 3/4 hp . And it's a universal motor , with a flat
disc commutator and brushes that can be rotated to reverse motor
rotation . I was looking at it today and saw on the tag that it can be
operated on 110 or 220 volts ... Currently it's wired with the armature
and field windings in parallel , I believe that's called shunt . I was
operating it on 110 volts on my lathe (until I got a smaller unit , this
thing is huge) . I have a project that I might use it on , but I'd like
to go 220V . Am I correct in assuming that hooking the windings in
series will convert it to 220 ? Since this motor is a universal motor ,
is it speed controllable by varying the voltage ?

---