Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default accidentally cut off 24 pin ATX power connector and want toreattach, question

On 2021/01/26 10:35 p.m., Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 27/01/2021 01:37, John Robertson wrote:
On 2021/01/26 3:23 p.m., Jon I wrote:
I accidentally cut off the 24 pin ATX power supply connector because
I thought I was going to use the power supply for another purpose,
but that turned out not to be the case.Â* I want to reinstall back
into the desktop, but I have a question:Â* since all the red, yellow,
orange, and black wires were going to be combined (for greater
current handling in non-PC use), I am wondering if I could just
combine the same color cutoff wires from the connector with the ones
coming from the power supply?Â* Would sure save a lot of extra
soldering.Â* For example, in case I'm not clear, can I combine all the
orange wires from the supply and all the orange wires from the
connector and solder together?Â* Thanks in advance.

Yes.

I'd wire each wire separately but I'm anal. However you could blob all
the same colours together and then insulate carefully.

In commoning up the individual wires, ye might need thicker cables to
handle the current.

I'd rewire each separately using similar wire to the original. Take ya
time and use heat shrink, leaded solder and a good soldering iron. It's
not a difficult job to be considering short cuts.

I interpreted the OP as saying he would join all the wires of the same
colour in a blob and glom the other wires to the same blob. Ugly, but it
would work. Not professional at all. However folks do like short cuts
and that was what I offered.
I would be too embarrassed to actually do that blob thingy though...

John ;-#)#
John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com