Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Micrometer time!

On 2021-01-21, pyotr filipivich wrote:

[ ... ]

And batteries. Which is another
"ought" I have against digital mics etc: batteries. Maybe if I used
them more often than once a year it would be different.)

For digital micrometers which I don't use regularly (It is too
cold to work in the shop right now) I open the battery compartment and
flip the cell upside down (so it does not feed the power to anything),
and pop the cap back on. This keeps it handy with the micrometer, but
also keeps it fresh. I also keep a spare cell in the box the micrometer
is stored in.

Most micrometers use the 357 and 44 sized cells (easy to
remember -- both numbers are magnum calibers) and they are available in
either alkaline or silver oxide variants. The battery life is much
better in the silver oxide (I prefer SR-357 cells) -- and I believe they
are also much less likely to leak and damage the micrometer.

Yes -- I also have pure analog micrometers too. Old eyes tell
me I need to wear glasses to use them.

BTW I also have one Russian 0-25mm micrometer. It is beefier than
all the others which I have or have used. I think the shaft is
8mm (about 5/16" instead of the more common 1/4" shaft on the
others. I guess that I would not be too upset at seeing it used
as a C-clamp. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--