Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reid Supply

On 1/21/2021 4:35 PM, Mike Spencer wrote:
Bob La Londe writes:

Ugh! [Reid SUpply] website does one thing I absolutely despise. If
they don't have what you are searching for it shows hundreds of
items that aren't what you are looking for.

"Do you have any tool steel?"

"Would you like to buy some frozen chickens?"

Fawwwk!

Happens in Real Life(tm). I once went into a metal supplier, asked
for (I forget the number, 6000 maybe?) pure aluminum 1/16" sheet.
explained at length that I would be hand-working it and needed the
softest, most malleable, most ductile material possible.

After checking inventory, the Guy replied that they had none in stock
but suggested that they sell me this other alloy of which they had
plenty. I pointed out that it was the alloy used for ship hulls and
dump truck boxes, the most deformation-refractory one in the list.

His reply? "Availability has to be worth *something*, doesn't it?"

My experience is limited to a handful, but I've found many local metal
yards don't really know metal all that well.

I've also found some aluminum alloy availability in some forms seems to
be pretty trade limited. I see manufacturers list what I want on their
website, but none of the vendors I have access to have it. A few will
get what I want if I buy a ton. Heck a big order of stock aluminum for
me is only half a ton. I'm at that point where I am considering
building a roller forming machine so I can get 5052 in something other
than sheets. LOL.

https://www.avg.com