Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default Micrometer time!

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 07:54:27 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Spehro Pefhany on Tue, 19 Jan 2021
15:00:40 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
On Mon, 18 Jan 2021 05:12:03 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:
My only micrometer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Was planning to buy one of their new calipers, but my 0.0 mm resolution
Mitutoyo still works fine.

I need to know the dimensions of a rod, to stop guessing whether it's really
7.9 mm or actually 7.99 mm.

I would think such measuring devices jump to the next number when the zero
threshold is reached (going up) or crossed (going down). Will see!

For just a few dollars (a small fraction of a stimulus check) mo
https://amzn.to/3iswLnc
0.001 mm / 50 microinch resolution.

One advantage to a non-digital micrometer - you can see if the rod
is almost 7.9mm or almost 8.0mm. (one of the reasons I like my dial
calipers.)

It is like clocks - a digital one will tell you what time it is,
right now." you get to do the calculations to figure out if you still
have time enough to do 'this'. With analog clocks, you can look and
say "I have a quarter / half /third of an hour to do 'this'."

Of course, it helps if you can read an analog clock.

I can see as that would be useful. I have a calculator stuck on the
side of my mill so I don't have to subtract long numbers in my head
when I'm tired (and possibly end up cutting too much of the part
away).

Don't own a pair of dial calipers, just vernier and digital.

But, as of a few weeks ago, I have DROs on the lathe and mill, so
digital maybe makes more sense.
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany