Posted to rec.woodworking
Jon Danniken[_10_] Jon Danniken[_10_] is offline

Default Diagonal leg bracing for folding worktable

I am putting together a folding worktable based on a concept such as
this one: https://ibb.co/MgWrWrd

One key structural difference (the other being the leg bearing - I am
using 3/4" IMC) is that I won't be using the bottom shelf, so I will
need a method to brace the legs from both hyper-extending and folding
inwards during use. The dimensions of my table are 76" x 32", and it
will sit 36" high.

The method I would *like* to use is a diagonal brace (aluminum angle,
1.5" x 1.5" x 0.125") on each leg, extending from a point on the leg to
a point attached to the bottom of the table using 5/16" bolts.

Here is my question: how short of a brace can I reasonably expect to
get away with? It would be convenient if the brace were able to
disconnect at one point and fold up with the table. In this case, the
brace would need to be about 20 inches long and attach to each leg at a
point about 14 inches from the bottom of the table.

Considering the size of the table, the length of the legs, and it's use
as a utility worktable in the garage, does this length of diagonal (and
it's attachment point on the leg being 14" from the bottom of the table)
seem reasonable or woefully undersized?

Thanks for any perspective you can offer on this.

Jon