Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tricky Dicky[_4_] Tricky Dicky[_4_] is offline

Default So that is what electricians did in the 1963 big freeze

On Wednesday, 13 January 2021 at 08:20:15 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
I lived through that and where my father worked had a car park on the roof,
but luckily the driveway up to the roof had underground electric heating.
One problem was though that it was only running just before the first
employees arrived and a short time in the afternoon, resulting in it being
covered in black ice most of the rest of the time!
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , ARW
writes
https://youtu.be/658eoX3ERAs?t=1500

I'm too idle to watch it all.

The company I was training at as a technician apprentice had a nice line
in producing low voltage transformers used to pass a current through
buried frozen water pipes:-)

Wouldn't do much with blue poly now!

--
Tim Lamb

I can remember snow which by this time was just pure ice lying on the ground right up to Easter. The snow had even gone black from soot settling on the surface. As for Cliff Mitchelmore going on about an act of Parliament going through to make new housing more resilient, I think most housing is probably less resilient few having fireplaces anymore not that we would have the supplies of coal or coke which I remember surviving on. Our 1975 bungalow with its gas central heating is vulnerable to power cuts which I hopefully soon put right with a gas fire installed in the lounge. I feel for modern high rise dwellers a 1963 freeze will make their homes into ice boxes.

Richard