Posted to rec.games.video.arcade,sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Reviewing a cheap CRT degaussing wand

On 2021/01/12 4:56 p.m., Rayner Lucas wrote:
In article t,
says...

In article ,
says...

I use a large Weller Soldering Gun when I can't find one of the
degaussing coils in the shop...

I also used the Weller or what ever Gun I had handy on the old CRTs.

Just about any coil of wire will work that does not draw too much
current.

Oh, that's a neat idea, I never thought to try a heating coil. I did
consider making my own, but with no idea what spec to aim for, buying
one seemed like it had a better chance of success :-)

Rayner

You need something that puts out a large AC field - like the unshielded
transformer used in soldering guns.

An electric heating coil has a very small magnetic field, I'd say it was
most unlikely to be useful for degaussing...

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com