Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Reviewing a cheap CRT degaussing wand

Trevor Wilson wrote:
================

**I have always been an audio tech. I have always avoided TV work where
possible. However, back in the day, I would frequently perform a CRT
degauss, using my Han-D-Mag head demagnetiser. I found that it could
deal with any degaussing requirement.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tape-hea...-/271234117484

Geez, they're expensive nowadays. I still have mine.

** I once acquired a demagnetiser that, far as I could tell, was incapable of demagnetising anything.
Had no effect on tape heads or the tiniest screwdrivers. It was the Teac E1 as listed in your link.

So acting on a hunch, I made a coil of enamel wire ( about 15 turns) just big enough to slip over the head concerned and energised it from a small 6.3V tranny. The coil would get quite hot in about 30 seconds.

While energised, I popped it over the head and slowly removed it far away.

Totally worked on even the most magnetised heads.

Necessity is .......

...... Phil