Posted to alt.home.repair
FromTheRafters FromTheRafters is offline

Default Exposure Notifications inactive

Rod Speed presented the following explanation :
FromTheRafters wrote
Rod Speed wrote
trader_4 wrote
Dean Hoffman wrote
micky wrote

To save battery, I turned off my bluetooth, and I got a notification
on
the cellular startup screen with a red sun and the message "Exposure
Notifications inactive. To use this feature, turn on bluetooth."

I had to google to be reminded of what it meant. It refers to exposure
to covid and since a) I have the app that keeps track of whether I'm
near an infected person, and b) I turned off bluetooth, it complains.
How does it know if someone has Covid? What alarm goes off if it
senses
Covid? I can't get that image of the Lost in Space robot out of my
head. DANGER
DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON

Some cut.

These apps just keep track of other phones that have the Covid app on
them
that come near your phone. Later if someone with the app on their phone
learns
that they have Covid they can voluntarily put that into the app and then
all the
people who had the app on their phone, who were near the infected
person's
phone, get notified that they were near someone who was Covid positive.
From what I've seen not many people are using it. I don't
because so few people have it that there is little value. For it to
really achieve
effectiveness there would have had to have been a national plan,
encouraging
everyone to use it. That didn't happen because we have a federal govt
that
refused to have any national plan at all.

Even a national plan doesnt help with aerosols.

Why not?

Because you can be anywhere in the big room
and still get infected by the virus via an aerosol
and so its useless to have a list of people who
did later test positive who were physically close
to you for long enough measured by bluetooth.

You can be notified that you had an exposure though.

In the second wave in Melbourne Australia, lots
of medical professionals got infected via aerosols
in hospitals even while wearing full PPE and its useless
for contact tracing to have a list of everyone in the
hospital or even just on the same floor of the hospital.

Yeah, well HCWs should assume they are being exposed anyway.

With nursing homes, pubs and gyms and supermarkets too.

But it is even less so with the fomite vector where you pick up
particles left some time ago by an infected person you never even got
close to.

IOW, it works *best* for the aerosol vector.