Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Epoxy, Fabric and Wood

On 1/11/2021 8:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
Overall question:

Will epoxy hold flexible plastic to fabric? Specifically, West

Systems G-Flex epoxy and 3M Dual Lock adhesive tape.

I'm trying to help a friend extend the life of a couch. To keep the

cushions from sliding forward, the manufacturer used Velcro-like hook &
loop material between the bottom of the cushions and the fabric that
covers the springs in the base of the couch. The H&L strips are sewn
onto the cushions and base and have served their purpose well for many
years.

Unfortunately, the springs have weakened, so my friend put a piece of

3/4" plywood under the cushions to add firmness. This works fine, except
that the cushions slide forward whenever someone sits on the couch since
the H&L is no longer connected.

She tried some of the 3M Dual Lock adhesive tape between the cushions

and plywood, but the tape does not stick to the fabric on the cushions
for very long. After a few "sitting sessions" the tape, which is
actually a hard but flexible plastic, loses it's adhesion to the fabric
bottom of the cushion.

Short of taking the cushions to an upholsterer to see if they can sew

the Dual Lock to the cushions, I'm wondering if the West Systems G-Flex
epoxy might hold the tape to the fabric.

Other suggestions for preventing the cushions from sliding on the

plywood would certainly be appreciated.

Epoxy generally has some flexibility, but not much. For some
applications a product called Flex Coat (an epoxy used for fishing rod
wraps) might be an option. For your application I think something like
3M 77 spray on contact adhesive might work better. I have found that
when sprayed on a single surface and applied wet (right away) its a
decent temporary bond, and when sprayed on both surface and left to get
tacky before pressing together it makes a more permanent bond. It does
seem to remain flexible. More than epoxy anyway.

Other contact adhesives may also work, but I keep 3M 77 on hand and use
it all the time.

https://www.avg.com