Posted to alt.home.repair,comp.mobile.android
VanguardLH[_2_] VanguardLH[_2_] is offline

Default Exposure Notifications inactive

micky wrote:

Also I bought some Basic AAA batteries from Amazon and the mailing
label had in bold fairly large text “Not restricted as per special
provision”. Other things were in the bag too and I'd bought 9V
batteries just a few months ago and there was no such message, so I
had to look that up, but it's definitely because of the batteries.
Every 12 batteries came in its own shrink wrap.

The warning may be due to shipping restrictions on certain types of
batteries. Lead-acid batteries sold without the electrolyte (sulfuric
acid) should be shippable, but not if the electrolyte was added.
Sulfuric acid requires special hazard shipping requirements. Shipping
of hazardous materials costs extra and requires special handling. Since
the "provision" wasn't mention, no idea what might be the provision,
regulation, shipping restriction, or whatever.

In my area, alkaline batteries can be disposed of in your regular trash
disposal. Same for other "disposable" batteries, except those using
mercury which is poisonous. The recyclable content is very low, and
they are not a fire hazard (but I'd still put tape on one end). Lithium
batteries are poisonous, so they must be dumped at a hazardous disposal
facility. NiCads contain lead, so they are poisonous, so also require
special disposal. MiMH and, in general, rechargeable batteries require
special disposal. You need to check what are the rules in your area.

I put tape across the contacts, and store up the old NiCd, NiMH, and
lithium batteries (don't use mercury batteries) to take them in as a
bunch to the local hazard disposal facility. Cost is $10 per trip, so I
stow up a lot before making the trip (10 miles away, but I can combine
with trips to grocery, hardware, and other stores). Some hardware
stores (e.g., Home Depot via Call2Recycle bins) have disposal service.
There may be local rechargeable recycling drop-offs in your area.

If the battery says "Battery Must Be Recycled" or has a recycle icon,
they require special disposal.