Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Caspersz Adrian Caspersz is offline

Default Finding the cmos battery

On 10/01/2021 20:36, Bertrand Sindri wrote:
Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 17:35:35 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Might your account have been locked-out?

I don't have any such account! Certainly nothing that *I* have
created anyway. Unless this is something Roberts do without telling
you.

No one is saying *you* created anything.

All that is needed for the radio to save all your user settings in "the
cloud" [1] is for each radio to have a unique serial number, and for the
maker to run a very cheap server on the 'net to receive a request from
the radio and to either return (for a read request) or save (for a
write request) the user settings in association with that serial
number.

Given that it has a WiFi chipset, it already has a unique serial
number, that being the MAC address of the WiFi chip on the board.

So it is very possible for the radio to use a cloud server to store
your settings. Whether it in fact does so is yet undetermined. But
everything necessary on the radio hardware side to do so is already
present. A WiFi chipset (for internet access), a unique serial (the
WiFi chipset MAC address), and a CPU (given a WiFi chipset, it likely
also contains an embedded CPU as well).

[1] yes, this is not secure, because if you learn someone's radio's MAC
address, you could read/write their settings.

Ok, I had a look at the manual. Like my earlier model, it's a
ridiculously complicated book more suited to a computer product than an
entertainment gadget.

http://www.aeldownloads.com/robertsr...%20ISSUE.1.pdf

There is also a troubleshooting guide

http://www.aeldownloads.com/robertsr...TS.ISSUE.1.pdf.

In the UK, Roberts was a British brand of radio manaufacturer that
catered mostly to the middle class purchaser, and I can hardly see some
of those that have remaining memories of old, having some ability left
to waddle through that nonsense.

However, I had a waddle. Page 64 of the wordy user manual.

"You should not attempt to update your radio unless it is recommended to
you by Roberts Customer
Services. Updating the software may remove all network settings, radio
station presets and alarm settings
from your radio"

So, station presets _are_ stored in flash memory on the device. Have
they been lost in a recent software update?

Suggest, (if it still works) registering an account (Page 30) and
storing favourites there.

Mr Doom. You won't find a battery or a cap. Give up.

--
Adrian C