Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bertrand Sindri Bertrand Sindri is offline

Default Finding the cmos battery

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 17:35:35 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Might your account have been locked-out?

I don't have any such account! Certainly nothing that *I* have
created anyway. Unless this is something Roberts do without telling
you.

No one is saying *you* created anything.

All that is needed for the radio to save all your user settings in "the
cloud" [1] is for each radio to have a unique serial number, and for the
maker to run a very cheap server on the 'net to receive a request from
the radio and to either return (for a read request) or save (for a
write request) the user settings in association with that serial
number.

Given that it has a WiFi chipset, it already has a unique serial
number, that being the MAC address of the WiFi chip on the board.

So it is very possible for the radio to use a cloud server to store
your settings. Whether it in fact does so is yet undetermined. But
everything necessary on the radio hardware side to do so is already
present. A WiFi chipset (for internet access), a unique serial (the
WiFi chipset MAC address), and a CPU (given a WiFi chipset, it likely
also contains an embedded CPU as well).

[1] yes, this is not secure, because if you learn someone's radio's MAC
address, you could read/write their settings.