Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Safe To Use Feather Board Beyond Blade For Jointing Sled?

On 1/10/2021 11:33 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Sunday, January 10, 2021 at 11:35:29 AM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I know that you should never use a featherboard beyond the blade when ripping a board, but what about when using a jointing sled?

I built one of these last night so I can cleanup some rough poplar. I do not have a jointer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUubLPQozzQ

Is there any danger of using a featherboard before and after the blade just to hold the sled tight to the fence? The board being joined would pass over both featherboards. Only the sled would have pressure exerted upon it.

Thanks.

Here's a link to the sled in use vs the whole build process:

https://youtu.be/eUubLPQozzQ?t=63

No. There should be no issue. The problem is when waste is pushed back
into the blade by a feather board after the cut.

Even with out the jig or sled, if the piece you are cutting is not a
through cut there should be no issue with using a feather board past the
cut.
For instance when cutting groves.