Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bertrand Sindri Bertrand Sindri is offline

Default Finding the cmos battery

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 15:43:08 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Does it manage to remember your WiFi credentials every time you
turn it on? Try a factory reset if it has one buried in the
menus.

Yes, it remembers the password and accesses the router no problem.

So it has *some* functioning non-volatile storage then, wonder if it
constantly writes your favourites to flash and has worn it out?

I wouldn't have thought so, Andy. It would take infintintely more
write-cycles than I have time to enter data. My settings and
favourites have remained largely unchanged for many years.

This is another unsafe assumption. It is possible that the power-down
sequence could be:

detect press of soft-power button

write user settings from RAM to flash

power down

Where "write user settings" occurs whether or not you have made any
changes to those settings.

And maybe the price quote you got from their phone support was really
the cost for: "replace the worn out flash chip".