Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_6_] Cursitor Doom[_6_] is offline

Default Finding the cmos battery

On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 16:34:13 +0000 (UTC), Bertrand Sindri
wrote:

Cursitor Doom wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jan 2021 14:31:52 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Cursitor Doom wrote:

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Internet only.

Yes, and it remembered my choices perfectly well for many years
before developing dementia, so I think it's fair to assume there's
an internal power supply of some sort.

Why is this "safe to assume"?

Fair point. Assumptions are the mother of all ****ups - as I've said
here many times myself!

If it has access to the internet, then it is *not safe to assume* that
there is an internal power supply of some sort. It is possible that
*every* setting beyond the local WiFi AP credentials is stored on a
server somewhere in the cloud. And the WiFi AP credentials could be
stored in a tiny amount of flash on the main chipset to provide the
bootstrap necessary to find the rest of the settings on some cloud
server.

You see this is all like rocket science to me. Never in a million
years would that have occurred to me. If my favourites are stored in
the cloud rather than locally then that's a major breach of trust
Roberts has committed. And confidentiality!

It's funny they seemed to know already what the problem was since
they quoted me 40 quid to fix it I'm just wondering if they don't do
anything to the radio but just renew my subscription or something
like that.

Why would you think this vs. the more typical option of the minimum
wage phone worker having a table of "customer quoted symptoms" vs.
"quoted repair cost" and the minimum wage worker just reading you off
the quote for the item that sounded most close to your description?

Look, I'm an old dude. I have no idea what goes on in these places
nowadays. I can only go by my increasingly outdated experience which
is set firmly in the past (25+ years minimum).

In fact the only odd thing is that there are several 220uF caps which
are showing as anything between 1000uF and 1200uF on my Peak ESR70
meter. I've never known caps so far out of tolerance before.

In circuit or out of circuit measurement?

In circuit. And they're not in parallel.