Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Cursitor Doom[_6_] Cursitor Doom[_6_] is offline

Default Finding the cmos battery

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 13:54:04 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Generally speaking, I've found that supercaps used as memory devices are generally run *very* close to their voltage rating, so if your supercap is a 2.7V, there's a good chance there could be 2.5 volts on it. But, you don't need to make this complicated. Plug the radio in and see what the voltage is across the supercap. Most of the supercaps I've changed just go low value/high ESR and don't short. Whatever the voltage is under test, add that via cell. Since the value you need is unlikely (Murphy's Law) to be a direct value of a cell you want to add, you may have to add more than one diode to drop the voltage to or even a bit below the memory voltage.

Thanks! Just the kind of details I wanted. Must admit I hadn't thought
about using diodes to 'trim' the cell(s) to the correct voltage.