Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff l Jeff l is offline

Default Can I use a TIG welder to melt metal in small crucibles?

replying to Ignoramus29878, Jeff l wrote:
Yes you can use a tig welder to melt precious metals. You need a crucible with
a carbon ground added to the bottom to complete the circuit. A closed box
similar to a sandblasting cabinet is helpful. You flood it with argon prior to
your melt to further protect the metals. Look up James Binnion. He uses this
process with incredible success mixing/melting karat golds, platinum,
palladium, silver etc. He uses it to make mokume gane rings etc. The results
are second to none. Look for his video doing it. I am getting ready to try it
myself

--
for full context, visit https://www.polytechforum.com/metalw...es-447093-.htm