Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default A waste of time?

On 1/1/2021 3:35 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Friday, January 1, 2021 at 12:22:57 PM UTC-5, wrote:

"You have to be super super super precise aligning the drilling apparatus to make the holes for the dowels."

I'm not arguing for or against using dowels to help with alignment, I'm just wondering how
hard you think it is to align a self-centering dowel jig, such as this style...

https://www.amazon.com/Center-Dowel-.../dp/B081RGDJ28

Granted, a biscuit joiner doesn't have to be R&R'd like a doweling jig does, but in and of itself,
the "super super super precise" alignment is handled by the jig itself, assuming of course that
your boards are the same thickness.

I have a high quality doweling jig. It is not automatic however, and it
is not difficult to get things off enough to make alignment impossible.

Assuming your boards are milled flat and square (which they should be),
by the time you set up your jig for each hole perfectly aligned, drill
precise holes in all the boards, cut correct length dowels, I will
already have my boards glued and clamped with no problems.

There is no reason to introduce difficulty with no benefit in a simple
procedure.

My high quality doweling jig is rarely out of the closet, and has not
been used for panel glue ups since I was new at the game.

--
Jack