Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default eprom burning question

On 2020/12/31 2:21 a.m., Mike wrote:
In article ,
John Robertson wrote:

dd if=/dev/zero of=combined.bin bs=1 count=8192

Nice solution, I would only suggest editing the create function to make
it a 8K file of "FF"s so you aren't trying to burn 00s - this will speed
up the programming slightly. Afraid I don't know how, but I'm sure it is
easy to look up...

Use /dev/one instead of /dev/zero

It would *only* speed up programming if the hardware/software used
optimizes things and skips/refuses to "program" locations that
are 0xFF (the default blank chip state).

Otherwise, there's no speedup there.

Serious answer, if you don't have /dev/one available, change the first
line to :-

cat /dev/zero | tr '\000' '\377' | dd of=combined.bin bs=1 count=8192

Omitting the "if=/dev/zero" takes input from stdin, and tr swaps
0 for 377 (Octal)/255(Dec)/0xFF(hex)

Nice work!

I wasn't really worried about the speed, more changing FFs to 00s seemed
a bit pointless in the grand scheme of things, plus any unused space
(FFs) in the EPROM could still be used if the OP needed something else
in the future.

Or just erase and start over...which we've all done I'm sure!

John ;-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com