Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default eprom burning question

In article ,
John Robertson wrote:

dd if=/dev/zero of=combined.bin bs=1 count=8192

Nice solution, I would only suggest editing the create function to make
it a 8K file of "FF"s so you aren't trying to burn 00s - this will speed
up the programming slightly. Afraid I don't know how, but I'm sure it is
easy to look up...

Use /dev/one instead of /dev/zero

It would *only* speed up programming if the hardware/software used
optimizes things and skips/refuses to "program" locations that
are 0xFF (the default blank chip state).

Otherwise, there's no speedup there.

Serious answer, if you don't have /dev/one available, change the first
line to :-

cat /dev/zero | tr '\000' '\377' | dd of=combined.bin bs=1 count=8192

Omitting the "if=/dev/zero" takes input from stdin, and tr swaps
0 for 377 (Octal)/255(Dec)/0xFF(hex)
Mike Brown: mjb[-at-]signal11.org.uk | http://www.signal11.org.uk