Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Solid state relay questions

On Tue, 29 Dec 2020 14:23:12 -0800, John Robertson
wrote:

On 2020/08/14 3:58 p.m., wrote:
On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 10:56:02 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Water well pressure switches should always be placed as close to the
pressure tank as possible. Within 1 foot is best. Nearly 300 feet away
at the well head would be a bad idea....

Besides, I already
have an extra new one sitting on the shelf. And I already have wires
in the ground going to the switch, so why not use them? They will just
be switching less current. And from what I can tell, the snap action
type of action used in these switches is so the contacts always make
good contact because they slam together. They even slam right through
spiders and beetles. I dunno why the bugs like to hang out on the
switch contacts. Mebbe it's done on a dare.
Thanks,
Eric

Why are the electrical contacts not in a watertight box? This is a damp
environment, right? The controller(s) should be sealed up to prevent the
risk of moisture, bugs, etc...

As Peter keeps saying, spend the money, get a proper sealed system that
can handle the load, and the environment - or your next water outage
might be in the middle of a house/wood stove/cooking fire during a
blinding snowstorm...

John :-#(#

Nobody has their well pump control in a water tight box. They all
breathe. And every pressure switch on every well pressure tank
breathes. My well control is in a box made for outdoor use too, and
yet it still breathes. Though bugs cannot get in the atmosphere
certainly does. Rain could pour over my pressure switch and well
control box all day and nothing would get wet inside, but humidity
will. Nevertheless this does not happen. In any case I bought an
appropriate contactor and mounted it in the well control box.
Everything is fine. The contactor is switched by the pressure tank
switch. The whole setup meets code.
Eric

---