Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Marulli Dave Marulli is offline

Default Cutting a SawStop ICS down to size

On Tuesday, December 29, 2020 at 9:45:06 PM UTC-5, StevenWoodward wrote:
I replaced my 35 year old contractor saw ( 24 x 22 inch table ) with a SawStop, but didnt want to increase the floor footprint. So which SawStop model would be best for minimizing footprint? The SawStop PCS motor is normally sticking out the left hand side of cabinet, and moves inside when the blade is set to 45 degrees. The SawStop contractor saw motor hangs out the back. The SawStop ICS offered the best floor space efficiency because the motor is normally inside the cabinet, and sticks out under the right hand wing when blade is set to 45 degrees. By installing only the right hand wing, and cutting the fence rails down to size, the floor space footprint was kept the same as old contractor saw. See video for details https://youtu.be/s9I3SEcJe5w
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/12ro

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/woodwo...e-3084205-.htm

Nice job. Having a small shop also, I understand the need for maximizing the use of every
square inch.

I have a Craftsman 70's vintage table saw. I use a mobile base similar to yours and I cut down
the rails of a Delta T-30 Fence, which was a huge upgrade compared to the original POS fence
that the saw came with.

Another space saver is the router table I added in place of the right extension wing.

https://i.imgur.com/qYvyQoM.jpg

My shop is in the basement of an addition and that recessed space to the right of the saw used to
be a window in the former exterior block wall. I boxed it in for some extra shelves and it was pure luck
that the table saw is just barely narrower than the opening. When not in use, I gain 11" of floor space
by rolling the router table side into the recess.

I also have a 24" x 24" run-out platform that sits on the back rail. It can either rest on the workbench
as shown, or be supported by a 45° brace down to the mobile base so that it moves with saw if required.
The run-out table is really handy when using my large sled since I don't need to hold the front of the sled
down as it extends past the end on the table saw. Safety first!

https://i.imgur.com/qDNfRnc.jpg

P.S. I really like the Gripper that the kids bought me a few months ago. It's a very useful and versatile
safety device.